The Bedford Curriculum
Overview & Values - Our Intent
We aim to provide a fully inclusive, broad and balanced curriculum that allows all pupils to develop the skills needed to feel empowered in all lessons, whether in maths as a mathematician, in art as an artist or in science as a scientist etc.
The Bedford curriculum approach is underpinned by the embedding of thinking skills, effective and timely feedback, greater learner involvement and high standards. The development and skills progression in all subjects will be evident. The use of technology and hands-on, practical experiences are carefully woven through our curriculum to enhance teaching and learning.
Key features of the curriculum at Bedford Primary School:
- Built upon prior learning and acquirement of skills, it is planned around the distinctive needs of our children
- Equality of opportunity for every single child in our care
- Enquiry based to promote curiosity, speaking and listening, the asking of questions and the ability to clearly articulate the learning that is taking place
- Embeds the application of basic skills (reading, writing and maths)
- Allows writing to be meaningfully embedded
- Makes purposeful links between subjects to make learning meaningful and relevant
- Underpinned by progress and clear outcomes to raise standards in all subjects
- Learning is relevant, exciting and brings the world into our classrooms
- Embodies the latest thinking about quality learning and brain-based learning.
Curriculum Core Values - updated 2019
Our Bedford Curriculum is underpinned by our core values. These are the things that
all staff drive with relentless consistency from the moment your child joins Bedford Primary.
We want our curriculum to be a place where children are inspired to learn, reach their full potential and believe that they can be something and make a difference.
The skills that we want to see in all of our children in every lesson are listed below:
How will we nurture and develop these skills?
At Bedford we are committed to the continued professional development of all of our teaching and support staff. Reviewing and evaluating our curriculum to ensure that it is 'fit for purpose' is a key part of this. Alongside colleagues from our local Strand Partnership network, we are taking part in a Metacognition Project to ensure that our curriculum is underpinned by the very latest brain-based learning research.
The ‘Core Values’ that we guarantee in our teaching here at Bedford are detailed below:
We also value the importance of and impact that first hand, real life experiences have upon children’s education and have built a variety of trips, Forest School experiences and residential visits into our curriculum.
If you wish to find out more about the curriculum we are following please contact our school using the information on the link below.